View Single Post

Old 08.02.2006, 18:42
Mary Lou

Some facts from my investigation

1. Suzie Q (Hawkins/Lewis/Broadwater)
I wonder who is Lewis, maybe Bobby Lewis?
2. Ninety Nine and a Half (Pickett/Crapper/Floyd)
3. I Put a Spell on You (Jay Hawkins)
I keep on tryin' to find some Jay Hawkins records (everybody says he's great!), but haven't succeeded in it yet
I was told a lady (I don't know her name) sang the original version...
4. The Night Time is the Right Time (L.Herman)
5. Good Golly Miss Molly (R.Blackwell/J.Maroscalso)
6. Cotton Fields (Huddie Ledbetter)
Johnniebgoode told me it is a very popular tune, and there are different versions of the song.
But the one I heard once was awful! I think John made one of the best
7. Heard It Through the Grapewine (N.Whitfield/B.Strong)
Marvin Gay does it not so good...
8. My Baby Left Me (A.Crudup)
Again - I personally like CCR cover most of all!
9. Ooby Dooby (W.Moore/P.Penner)
I'm surprised that this song is not CCR, in fact..
But it won't be any the worse for it!
10. Hello Mary Lou (Gene Petney)
This pretty song was performed by Bobby Lewis, Ricky Nelson, Led Zeppelin, CCR...
I wonder if Gene Petney himself ever recorded this song!
11. Midnight Special (traditional/arrangement by J.C.Fogerty

These are not-CCR songs from the studio LPs.
Does anybody knows some details about John's collaboration with Carl Perkins?
Did they record some other songs besides "All Mama's Children"?
I think Carl Perkins is one of the greatest figures on country & rock'n'roll scene!

...To tell the truth, folks, I'm not really in favour of such lists - how can you compare John's unique swamp sound with bluesy 'heavy string' playing of Stevie? Or Jimmy Hendrix's science with Tony Iomy's diversity? To my mind it's simply impossible! One more thing: a guitarist can have an outstanding technique, but play idly, without putting his heart and soul into music. Perhaps there aren't even two people who agree with one concrete list..

..Some think that John was influenced by Dire Straits when he was working at "Deja Vu (All Over Again)". Rolling Stone in particular wrote: "Nobody's Here Anymore" borrows so directly from Dire Straits' "Sultans of Swing" that Mark Knopfler's (characteristically deft and tasteful) presence on guitar seems almost redundant". I can hardly say so.

BTW John Fogerty won Orvill H. Gibson Award in 1998 (he beat Johnny Lang & Joe Satriani) after "Blue Moon Swamp" had won Grammy. But I do think he's overlooked though he's the best for me & hope for the most of you!