View Single Post

Old 04.08.2010, 16:05

CreedenceGal is on a distinguished road

This post is quite ominous to reply to. Creedence had so many great songs, most of which were acknowledged on the Chronicle albums, however, there are a few that are just as wonderful that didn't make it on the two volume package.

I feel that after listening to the pre-1970s Creedence albums, one of the ones I treasure comes off Willy and the Poor Boys. The last song on the album, "Effigy," is a haunting mixture of life and death in my opinion. The subject matter is verging on gruesome, however, the music is undenyably alive! Tracks such as "Sinister Purpose," "Cross-Tie Walker," and "Ramble Tamble" are wonderful as well.

I was rather surprised that fairly popular songs such as "Bootleg" and "Keep on Chooglin'" aren't featured on the greatest hits Chronicle albums! They even made a music video of "Bootleg" and closed nearly every one of their shows with "Keep on Chooglin'."

As for the period where Creedence began falling apart, I really love tunes such as "(Wish I Could) Hideaway" and "It's Just a Thought."

As for non-Fogerty songs, I can't help but think that "What Are You Gonna Do" is so catchy. Part of me really loves it and the other part of me doesn't want to love it because it's not Fogerty's voice. I'm leaning further in the direction of loving it.

There's also one track I love from the Golliwogs stage of Creedence. The second version of "You Can't Be True" where John sings is a good example of John's voice developed still further once he became the voice of Creedence.

All in all, everything they do is wonderful. I do wish they were still together, making music for this generation to appreciate and enjoy. Oh well, you know what they say - all good things must come to an end.