Thread: Fortunate Son
View Single Post

Old 27.03.2005, 23:15
Anonymous

I kind of agree with the above statement in most ways.
In the 'nam conflict, I think that it was relatively simple. The more wealthy kids could get out of being drafted by going to college.
Now as for the racist issue, A lot of the blacks were in the poorer classes and they ended up going to that war because they didn't have a way out of being drafted and as is still present today they had no other financial way out of the ghetto. You may find that although there is no draft, the lower income people and the areas where there is high unemployment is where the military recruiters are targeting.
Now, if you want some anti-war songs. Try , Country Joe's "I Feel like I'm fixin to Die Rag from Woodstock, Dylan's (less subtie, "Blowing in the WInd", more blunt, "Masters of War" or the more popular Edwin Starr: "War"

To me "Fortuntate Son" is about more than the war though. It has to do with the anti-establisment mvt of the 60's,the divide in classes and the empathy that the songwriter is attempting to conjure with the 'average' lower income/middle class listeners.