View Single Post

Old 19.07.2005, 03:00

Music Girl is infamous around these parts

I have not read the book but I have been wanting to really bad! Though, on www.amazon.com you could search for Creedence in the book catagory and they have that book and you can search though it. They have a little thing where you type in a word, for example the word 'band' and it will give you a sentence or two off the pages that have the word band and of corse the word band will be in that sentence. It seems like a very interseting book but I am hinting that it is a little bias towards John. Though, the author had 4th hand information that Bob Fogerty(Johns little brother) read the book and said it was fair. But he wasnt sure if that was true or not. I am guessing that it is a good book for the fans that want to know more about Creedence and all the lawsuits. I have also heard that there are some pretty rare pictures in that book too. Well, I got the interviews for you. There are two, one is pretty short but the last one is pretty long. I hope you enjoy them!!
What inspired "Fortunate Son"?
John Fogerty:"Julie Nixon was hanging around David Eisenhower. And you just had the feeling that none of these people were going to be involved with the war. But to some of us who were watching closely, we just knew we're heading for trouble." (in Rolling Stone)

John:"A very, very personal song, a confrontation between me and Richard Nixon. The song after all, was written in 1970. "Fortunate Son" was one of the fastest songs I've ever written. I had it in my books of titles, "Fortunate Son," Hmmm, now what could that mean? "Fortunate Son," the "haves", the people who have it all not a positive image the people who live up on the hill, with their big cars. People I dont respect. During the Vietnam War, these were the people who didn't have to go to war. I was thinkg about David Eisenhower, the grandson of Dwight, who married Julie Nixon. I always confused her with Tricia. I guess it's easy to pick on somebody named Tricia. It sounds so silver - spoon. Anyway, I was showing the band the song. I didn't have much. I knew the chord changes and could feel the energy. I had the title, "Fortunate Son," but no song. Yet I was showing the band the structure, my normal gig as the musical director of the band, the arranger, if you will. It was a Monday or Tuesday night and I was well - disciplined enough about staying ahead, always ready with my parts. So I went into the bedroom, sat at the edge of my bed with a yellow legal tablet and my felt - tipped pen. Out came the song. "It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no Fortunate Son." I was screaming inside, very intense but not saying a word. Out it came onto three sheets of yellow legal papaer. "Some folks are born/Made to wave the flag/Oooh they're red, white and blue." I always used that phrase, "Look at him, he's red, white and blue." It wasn't a nice image like you'd picture Carl Sandburg, Walt Whitman or Abe Lincoln. I was thinking more about if you were to use modern examples of peopleguys like Bob Doran or Newt Gingrich, people who wave the flag with pomosity and pretension, as if they're hiding behind it. I wasn't one of thier children! I wasn't Dvid Eisenhower! When I played the song at Shea Stadium at an anti - war protest, I dedticated the song to David Eisenhower and Tricia Nixon, that's how messed up my venom was. As I was walking in the hallway after our set, someone came up to me and told me what an awesome version we had played. I remember telling him, "Richard Nixon is a great insperation." I hope you liked those interviews. If you want anymore interviews about a song just ask and I will be happy to post them!! Well, I hope you have a nice day and ROCK ON!!!