Creedence Online Forum

Go Back   Creedence Online Forum > Main

Notices

Main Discussion of general topics about Creedence

Old 15.09.2015, 14:05

orangebicycle is on a distinguished road
Smile Albert Hall 1970

Just browsing the other day, and came across a video on Youtube of CCR at the Albert Hall in 1970. Video is poor, but the audio is brilliant, really captures the ambiance of the venue. I was at that gig, way up in the 'gods', and still remember it as an astonishing event. No question one of the greatest gigs I have ever seen (and that includes Dylan in 1966!) The band were clearly on peak form. They had such an organic sound, powerful yet subtle, and John's vocals were just hair-raising. The guy was on fire that night. But the incredible thing about it was the audience reaction. You don't really see it on the video until the end, but about half way through some kind of 'osmosis' happened, and the crowd went a bit out of control. I remember looking down from our 'perch' way up, and seeing hundreds of fans jumping from one balcony to the next like a human waterfall, then 'rushing' the stage. I'm amazed the concert wasn't stopped at that point. The other thing was that despite that incredible ovation at the end - four and a half minutes on the video, but it went on for a lot longer - the band never did come back for an encore. Bizarre! I just cannot understand why they didn't. It's not as if (after just fifty-odd minutes on stage) they had run out of numbers! John, if you're reading this, an explanation, please! Finally, I'm wondering who made the video. Was it just for the band's own record, or was it intended for broadcast at some point? I'm also wondering who has the copyright, and whether a pristine copy remains hidden away in a vault somewhere. If it does, it should get a proper release. That show was one of the greatest performances by a rock band, ever. It's time it got the recognition it deserves.

Just one other thing to mention, and this is something that hit me watching the video, is just how great Doug Clifford's drumming is. So powerful, and fluid. The way it locks in with Stu Cook's bass is just miraculous. One of the greatest rhythm sections of all time, no question.

Last edited by orangebicycle; 15.09.2015 at 14:14. Reason: Add something in, and make a change.
Old 19.09.2015, 20:25
Super Moderator

nerdistmonk is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum, as for the concert i believe there was at least a 20 minute standing ovation that was recorded by the TVR production crew who was present to film the concert over a 2 day period.

You'll see 2 versions of that concert on youtube, TVR shot on film and tape at the same time, the film version was used to produce for television (though it never aired as far as i know, they dubbed in alot of crowd cheers and such)

Then theres the tape version, which contains the entire performance (the film version was cut up and shortened)

Also during the performance i believe Doug Clifford blew one his high-hats completely off his drumset, and you can catch a man running across the stage after he reinstalls it for him.

Anyways, yes it looked like near pandemonium in that hall after the concert ended, surprises me CCR didn't give an encore or something.

Tags
1970, albert, hall