Creedence Online Forum

Go Back   Creedence Online Forum > Main

Notices

Main Discussion of general topics about Creedence

Old 01.01.2016, 03:20

baker2575 is on a distinguished road
Default Bass on Have you ever seen the rain?

I just finished reading John Fogerty's autobiography, which is a good, easy read, if you're interested. One of the things that John alleges in the book is that he often had to show Stu and Doug how to play their parts, as they couldn't come up with them on their own. This makes me wonder...."Have you ever seen the rain?" features what I think is one of the great bass lines in rock history. Do you think it's possible that John came up with that bass line, or can we credit it fully to Stu? One qualifier, John also described the Pendulum period as a time of rebellion by the other band members, where they all stepped up and demanded to have more input into the music. So maybe that answers the question: Stu may not have been accepting John's input by that point.

Please let me know if you have any insights into this. Thanks!
Old 16.11.2016, 21:51

irishaus is on a distinguished road

Yes, the mind boggles!!
Old 17.04.2021, 01:06

Tony Trout is on a distinguished road

Personally, I think that it's Fogerty playing that memorable bass intro line. I could be incorrect, though. Shouldn't the 2001 multi-CD set have notes on who played what particular instrument? However, if Stu came up with that line, I'll say that he was brilliant in coming up with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Trout For This Useful Post:
irishaus (10.03.2023)
Old 25.04.2021, 16:19
Super Moderator

nerdistmonk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
Personally, I think that it's Fogerty playing that memorable bass intro line. I could be incorrect, though. Shouldn't the 2001 multi-CD set have notes on who played what particular instrument? However, if Stu came up with that line, I'll say that he was brilliant in coming up with it.

Stu Cook played the bass on all of the albums.

Fogerty may have made the sheet music for his songs, but it was stu that played that sheet music.

Stu and Doug more or less just did what fogerty instructed of them until the end, that was what caused great internal strain with CCR was John Fogerty's perfectionism, he typically refused to take anyone else's input into consideration, to the point where his own brother left the band so he could make some of the songs he had been saving back.

Go listen to the song "Joyful Resurrection" if you want to hear what CCR would have sounded like if tom were leading instead of john, you'll hear tom's voice and his guitar playing on that track, yet swear you were hearing john. Tom's weakness generally was in song writing, but he could sing just as good as his brother and play just as good too, Joyful Resurrection is arguably the best song he came up with and would have fit right in with any other CCR single.
Old 14.07.2021, 20:01

GMaq is on a distinguished road

Hi, just an informed guess but..

I think by the time "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" came out that all of the CCR members had come into their own as musicians. According to John's Autobiography although they needed some guidance in the beginning and although John oversaw the arrangements by the time of "Pendulum" (just before Tom left) Stu, Tom and Doug were reportedly jamming together and working on stuff all the time often without John as the relationships became more and more strained. Stu's bass solo on "Born to Move" (from the same album) is obviously the work of a talented bassist who knows how to improv.

You only have to watch the Live clips like Woodstock, RAH and Oakland to see that all of these guys could play and play their butts off!
The Following User Says Thank You to GMaq For This Useful Post:
irishaus (23.08.2022)
Old 11.12.2022, 05:58

irishaus is on a distinguished road

Yes, all the boys were good musicians, in their own right, long before John took over as songwriter and band leader.

Well, this is from what I understand, anyway.

Tags
bass, rain