Creedence Online Forum

Go Back   Creedence Online Forum > Main

Notices

Main Discussion of general topics about Creedence

Old 18.12.2005, 00:10

becca_d is infamous around these parts

BT, you said it. Creedence's music is honest, that was the word I was looking for! They were there to make feelgood music, that made you wanna get up on your feet and dance, they never tried to hide that. Even Bad Moon Rising is a feelgood song, despite it's gloomy, apocalyptic lyrics! Well, I can't stand the music of today, so I didn't know where else to turn, than to the '60s, and then Hendrix and Dylan seemed like a natural place to start! Hendrix' guitarplaying just blew me away, and Bob Dylan, he's a poet, quite simply a poet. BC, is that British Columbia in Canada (my dad is from Canada, so I just wondered)?
Old 18.12.2005, 18:50
Anonymous

Hi becca

Yes BC is British Columbia, on the west coast of Canada. I live in the City of Victoria on Vancouver Island. (for your security you may want to keep your location private)
I love the Canadian west coast, lots to do, especially if you like the outdoors. What Canadian town was your Dad from? Is your Dad still a CCR fan too ?

The late 50s and 60s is when rock ect really took flight, so much variety, everything was new.
When I was growing up (60s and 70s) there were still lots good old barn parties, songs like Up around the Bend and Down on the Corner were part of the lifestyle, and yes (CCR) makes me want to jump around.

Hendrix was in a class of his own.They use to say Hendrix could make his guitar talk. (Red House) (All Along the Watch Tower),writen by Dylan) and (Electric Church) As far as great guitar goes, blues is king with me.

Stevie Ray Vaughan is one of my all time favs, I first loved his guitar work and grew to love his voice
(Tin Pan Alley) (Life by the Drop) and (Little Wing, writen by Hendrix)
Stevie had great respect for and gave his credit to the old blues heros that came before him.

Music seems to be going off in a different direction...
I still like the odd newish tune, like,Green Day (Time of Your Life) and Creed (One Last Breath) .
And...Tori Amos, (China) (Winter) and (Crucify).
ect ect.
BT
Old 19.12.2005, 17:14

My Dad comes from a small town just outside of Prince Albert in Saskatchewan. I really wanna go there someday! I think I have some relatives in BC too, but I have never met them. Well, I am more of a Creedence-fan than my Dad, although he likes some of their music. He is really into country, so he likes Bad Moon Rising and Cotton Fields and songs like that. Barn parties... Wow, that sounded like fun! Up around the bend is a great song to listen while driving (I have actually never tried it, but I imagine it is). Hendrix was an extraordinary guitarist, I agree with those who said he could make his guitar talk! I have seen some performances by him, Purple Haze, Woodoo Chile, Foxy Lady and a beautiful version of Like a rolling stone, but I haven't got any cd's with him yet, but maybe I get some for christmas.... Jimi Hendrix took blues and pumped it up on steroids, it's blues he's playing, really. I am very fond of the blues, and I like a lot of the old bluessingers, like Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Robert Johnson, and Sonny Boyd Williamson. Whatever I listen to, is somehow linked to the blues. I think a lot of Creedence's music is quite bluesy too, like Penthouse Pauper, Graveyard Train (great song), and I put a spell on you. Have you heard John Fogerty's "D?j? vu all over again". I haven't, and I just wondered if it was worth buying, 'cause I've read some reviews of it, and they weren't all that positive. What do you think?
Old 20.12.2005, 03:06
Anonymous

Hi, I have relataves in Sask too, I have never been there either. If you ever do go to Sask maybe try to take your flight to Vancouver and go by train, bus or drive to Sask it will take you through the BC Rocky Mountains. Also, If you can, take a Sunshine Coast tour on BC Ferries.(from Vancouver) Bring lots of memory or film for your camera. It would add a week and a fare chunk of $ to your trip but you would see so much.

My choice for the best collections of Hendrix are "The Ultimate Experiece" and Hendrix "Blues"
Lots of songs and variety, the "Blues" is a absolute must have, some live stuff that shows that Hendrix will
always king of electrc blues.

I'm not too crazy about the Deja vu, album I like the song "Wicked Old Witch" though.
My personal opinion is CCR was CCR, John Fogerty was the heart of CCR but not the whole.
I'm not saying John didn't do some new great things on his own, I just like CCR better.
I think the music I have heard by John Fogerty after CCR sounds too rehearsed ("studio").
To me CCR sounds live, right now in front of you.
CCR is blues from the core, and for me blues need to sound live.

Another band that I still love, they were a big part of my music wourld as a teenager.
They had a bad rep for "sick" stage props and some nasty lyrics and songs, but
have great sound and many great songs. Alice Cooper
Songs like "I'm Eighteen" "No More Mr Nice Guy" " Hello Hooray" " Teenage Lament 74" and
of course " School's Out"
They never had the clean image CCR had, but they did put feeling into their music. BT

PS, Hendrix "Blues" the cover has a colauge of Hendrix pics that makes a profile of his face.
Old 20.12.2005, 13:34

Oh, I would have loved to see all that! I will go to Canada some day. Definitly. "Blues" is one of the albums I'm planning on buying, I listened to clips from it on Tower Records, and it sounded great! "The Ultimate Experience", is that a compilation-cd (if that's the right expression...)? One of the other albums I really want, is "Are you experienced?", the first Jimi Hendrix-album. You know, I agree with you! Only Creedence was Creedence, and John Fogerty alone is not the same. But I still think he has made good music after that, like the Blue Rigde Rangers-album (he certainly rocked up the country on this album), and Blue Moon Swamp. Have you heard any of these albums? "Bayou Country" is my favoritealbum, I love the bluesy bayou sound! What is yours? I don't think I'll ever be a Alice Cooper fan, but I have seen a performance of "School's out". Interesting behavior on stage... I've heard a sick story about a chicken that he was supposed to have bitten the head of of, but the the truth is just as bad. Somebody had thrown a living chicken up on stage, and Cooper thought chickens could fly, so he tossed it into the audience, believing it would "fly off into the sunset". Ouch. In some bizarre way I find this a bit amusing, I mean, everybody knows, that chickens don't fly!?! Do you like Led Zeppelin? I have heard a few songs by them, and I liked what I heard, they are quite influenced by the blues.
Old 20.12.2005, 15:47

joel is infamous around these parts

since all kinds of groups have been discussed, I think DR. HOOK should be mentioned too. Now, back to the group this site is dedicated to: Creedence Clearwater Revival.
Old 20.12.2005, 16:08
Anonymous

Ultimate exp is a comp album, lots of songs to cover a lot of "ground".
Another album, "Electric Lady Land" .
Electric Lady Land is a studio Jimi had built, in Seattle Washington.
I think it is a Hendrix musium now.

Chronicles 1 and 2, the two have a total of 40 hits by CCR, I think they are the best set.
I don't know what CCR original is my fav.
I like the album "Center Field",but it is the only after CCR I own. I do like old country, like the 50s and 60s, some of Johns stuff has the influence of that era but it's not my favorite.

Zep was my biggest influance for 10 years, lots of great songs, some of my favorates were...
" Babe im Gona leave You" "I can't Quit you baby" "Heart Breaker" " Since I've been Loving You"
"Over the Hills and Far away" (the only song I could play from start to finish)
...BT
Old 20.12.2005, 20:55
sseiter

My family has been into music as long as I can remember. My dad taught me and my sister how to play a long time ago. CCR is my favorite band out of them all. If anyone is interested, take a peek at some of our CCR samples by the OutSeiters. http://www.theoutseiters.com
Old 20.12.2005, 20:57

sseiter is infamous around these parts

My family has been into music as long as I can remember. My dad taught me and my sister how to play a long time ago. CCR is my favorite band out of them all. If anyone is interested, take a peek at some of our CCR samples by the OutSeiters. http://www.theoutseiters.com
Old 21.12.2005, 00:42

Hi, BT!
I knew that Electric Ladyland was a studio Jimi Hendrix built, I think he finished it just before he died (way to young, but that's the way it goes when you fill your veins with chemichals). Yes, there seems to be plenty of good albums with Hendrix I must have... I haven't heard the Centerfield album, but perhaps I'll buy it soon. I don't like country nearly as much as I like rock'n'roll (but I grew up listening to country, thanks to my dad, so I'm not all that negative about it, either), but The Blue Rigde Rangers is an exception, because I love it. I think John's singing on some these songs is just astounding. He is my favorite singer above all. I haven't got any cd's with Led Zep yet, but I have seen early performances of "How many more times" and "Dazed and confused", plus I have heard clips from their first four albums. I think "Bring it all home" was pretty cool, where Robert Plant does his best to sound like an old bluesman (I have only heard a 30 sec clip of it, though).

Tags
listeners, young