Creedence Online Forum

Go Back   Creedence Online Forum > Main

Notices

Main Discussion of general topics about Creedence

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13.09.2005, 08:38
Muisc Girl

JOHN FOGERTY BURIES HATCHET WITH FORMER LABLE

Sep. 10, 2005- Former Creedence Clearwater Revival frontman John Fogerty is returning to the record lable that has been the bane of his existence for decades.

Fogerty said on Friday he has signed with Fantasy Records, which was bought last December by Concord Music Group, the jazz-oriented lable behind Ray Charles' hits album. His forst release will be "The Long Road Home -- The Ultimate John Fogerty - Creedence Collection," a hits package due on November 1.

Creedence, one of the great American bands to emerge in the late 1960's, recorded for Berkeley, Calif.- based Fantasy until it broke up in 1972. Fogerty had signed away his copyrights to such tunes as "Fortunate Son" and "Bad Moon Risin," and spent the ensuing decades in legal battles with Fantasy chaiman, Oscar-winning movie producer Saul Zaentz.

He once immortalized Zaentz in a song called "Zanz Cant Danz," while Zaentz countered with a plagiarism lawsuit, claiming that Fogerty's solo song "The Old Man Down The Road" ripped off the Creedence hit "Run Though The Jungle." The litigation went all the way to the U.S Supreme Court.

"I'm very happy to be back in touch with a part of myself," Fogerty said in a statement announcing his return to Fantasy. "It's surreal. Fo 35 years, I never thought I'd be reunited with the music I wrote during the Creedence Clearwater Revival years."

He added that he and his wife, Julie, contacted senior executives at Concord about a year when the Los Angeles-based company was in the talks to buy Fantasy, which had been the subject of sale rumors for years. The instant attraction was mutual.

It's a happy coincidence that when we bought Fantasy catalog we were also able to sign one of the most relevent and talented singer/songwriters of our generation. We're all enormous fans of his music. He's a big hero here," said Concord co-owner Norman Lear.

"The Long Road Home" will boast 25 tracks, including four tunes recorded live by Fogerty during his U.S tour earlier this year. "Hey Tonight," "Bootleg," "Kepp On Chooglin" and "Fortunate Son." It will also draw from his solo albums, including "Centerfield" and the 2004 release "Deja Vu (All Over Again)."

Additionally, Fogerty plans to release a live DVD early next year. It will be recorded on September 15 during a concert at the Wiltern Theater in Los Angeles. (abc news)

I personally think this is great!! Does this mean that John will get the copyright to his songs back? All I know is that this is GREAT news!! I hope you have a nice day and ROCK ON!!! PS THE PIG IS FINALLY GONE!!!!!!!!!

Tags
fantasy, fogerty, it's, john, true