Creedence Online Forum

Go Back   Creedence Online Forum > Main

Notices

Main Discussion of general topics about Creedence

Old 30.03.2005, 06:17
Anonymous

Default why did CCR break up?

I'm 15, so I dont know anything about the breakup of CCR. I asked my mom and dad, but even they weren't sure. I asked my mom, "well, can john fogerty still play his CCR songs or not?" (i was asking b/c he was had a concert here where i live not to long ago). And she said she doesn't know because of some lawsuit??? Was the breakup that bad???? Or was she exaggerating? It'd help a lot if you can sum up why they broke up, and if john fogerty can ever play CCR songs in his solo career, oh, and also, if there will ever be a reunion.
Old 30.03.2005, 16:33
Anonymous

This is the urban legend of the time (late 60's/ early 70's) about the end of CCR. I don't know if there is any truth here or not! I am younger than the band members and likely older than your parents, so I was a bit too young in the 60's to do more than just notice the music as played on radio (have you heard Tommy James & The Shondells - very cool!!!not kidding). Anyway, John Fogerty, finally tired of being ripped off by his record label, decided to cease generating money for them and start making money for himself - so he went on the road with a HIRED band - the kind you pay wages to, not share the royalties with. Seems like I've heard of a law suit, but I'm fuzzy on that one - Google the newsgroups or locate historical archives - I don't have time right now because I'm copying their 60's vinyl (the original purple and silver Fantasy Records label) - into WAV.CDA.MP3.WMA files.
John Fogerty was a one-man-hit-writing-machine (he wrote most of their top 10 hits) and therefore wrote most of CCR's original music. In the 1960's, generally the record publisher took the electronic reproduction rights and the song writer retained the public performance rights. So yes JF can play his own songs in a concert or live media production - and he will retain his part of the contract money for performing. Look at how Paul McCartney has profited from his part in the Lennon/McCartney songs of The Beatles since their breakup.
Your research project is to compare how Fogerty and McCartney managed their intellectual resource base (their songs) for greatest income over time. They chose very different methods and I think that McCa did the best. Maybe he was the better artist or did he have better help managing money? Ask and ye shall recieve - look and ye shall find!!!
Old 04.04.2005, 15:55
Anonymous

Here's what I hear all of the time about what happend with CCR. The Beatles had just broke up when Creedence was at the top of their game and someone drove into the band's head that they could slide into their place. As you should know the Beatles had an unatainable fan base largely based on their individualism. Lennon/McCartney did most of the writing and singing but every now and the George and Ringo would slip in hits of their own which for the most part were very good Beatles style tunes. Now as I said above, the Beatles had broken up and CCR was going to be IT. The best way (supposedly) to pull everybody out of the shadow of John Fogerty would be accomplished by Tom Fogerty, Stu Cook and Doug Clifford writing and performing their own songs just like George and Ringo. Now John being the mastermind song writer/sing/guitarist and PRODUCER of the band said no way. That done, shortly after the release of the PENDULUM album Tom Fogerty called it quits with the band and went on to pursue his own career. After that John, in hopes of saving the band, allowed Stu and Doug to be Creedence's George and Ringo on the MARDI GRAS album. The results were Stu's Take it Like a Friend, Sail Away, and Door to Door. Doug's tunes were Need Somebody to Hold, Tearin' up the Country and What are you Gonna Do. Now in MY opinion Stu's songs and lyrics were well written but I don't think he can sing for his supper. I actually like Doug's songs though. But all in all they just were not Creedence style songs and one critic even reviewed the album as "the worst album ever by a major recording group."
After Mardi Gras's reception the band called it quits.

Now as far as law suits go, John was sued by his old record company for plagerizing (i don't think i can even spell it) himself. It was said that John's song The Old Man Down the Road from the solo album Centerfield sounded as if he had coppied Creedence's Run Through the Jungle. John won the suit.

After that John was sueing Creedence Clearwater REVISITED, who happended to be Stu Cook and Doug Clifford and some other yahoo's playing CCR's songs. I think it had to do with John's music rights, I don't really know and I don't know who won.
Old 16.03.2010, 19:45

#1FAN is on a distinguished road

Hey, check out the article on Wikipedia. It seems pretty good. Hope this is helpful. Their breakup was a sad day in my life. John was never so good again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creedence#History
Old 29.07.2010, 14:54

joyride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
John Fogerty was a one-man-hit-writing-machine (he wrote most of their top 10 hits) and therefore wrote most of CCR's original music.
I'll try to make it less painful as possible! Methinx JF played and performed much better with CCR than solo, but thena again, that is true for most members who leave a band e.g. Sting, Ritchie Blackmore, Robert Plant (who had to re-form the Band of Joy to get back on the track ), etc., and JF is NO exception in my rock book. The only artists I know who were still big solo are: Paul McArtney, Ringo Starr, Ian Astbury (Cult), Lita Ford and a few others. Just MY 2 cents...or 4

Tags
break, ccr