Creedence Online Forum

Go Back   Creedence Online Forum > Lyrics

Notices

Lyrics Creedence Clearwater Revival's lyrics discussion. If you want to post a topic about meaning of a song please choose previous forum.

Old 09.10.2005, 22:32
Anonymous

what does the lyrics reallly mean about the vietnam war?
Old 10.10.2005, 03:13

Music Girl is infamous around these parts

I have two articles where John talks about this song. I hope you enjoy both of them!

Q: What insired "Fortunate Son"?

John Fogerty: "Julie Nixon was hanging around with senhower. And you just had the feeling that none of these people were going to be involved with the war. But to some of us who were watching closely, we just knew we were heading for trouble." (in Rolling Stone)

John "A very, very personal song, a confrontation between Richard Nixon. The songafter all, was writen in 1970. "Fortunate Son" was one of the fastest song songs I've ever writen. I have in my book of titles, "Fortunate Sone", Hmmm, now what could that mean? "Fortunate Son," the "haves", the people who have it all not a postitive image the people who live up on the hill, with their big cars. People I don't respect. During the Vietnam War, these were the people who didn't have to go to war. I was thinking about David Eisenhower, the granson of Dwight, who married Julie Nixon. I always confused her with Tricia. I guess it's easy to pick on somebody names Tricia. It sounds so silver-spoon. Anyway, I was showing the band the song. I didn't have much. I knew the chord changes and could feel the energy. I had the title, "Fortunate Son," but no song. Yet I was showing the band the structure, mt normal gig as the musical director of the band, the arranger, it you will. It was a Monday or Tuesday night and I was well-diciplined enough about staying ahead, always ready with my parts. So I went into the bedroom, sat on the edge of the bed with a yellow legal tablet and my felt-tipped pen. Out came the the song, "It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no Fortunate Son." I was screaming inside, very intense, but not saying a word. Out it came, onto three sheets of yellow legal paper. "Some folks are born/Made to wave the flag/Oooh they're red, white and blue." It wasn't a nice image like you'd picture Carl Sandburg, Walt Whitman or Abe Lincoln. I was thinking more about if you we're to use modern examples of people guys like Bob Doran or Newt Gingrich, people who wave the flag with pomposity and pretension, as if they're hiding behind it. I wasn't one of their children! I wans't David Eisenhower! When I played the song at Shea Stadiumat an anti-war protest, I deticated the song to David Eisenhower and Tricia Nixon, that's how messed up my venom was. As I was walking in the hallway after out set, someone came up to me and told me what an awesome version we had played. I remember Telling them "Richard Nixon is a great inperation." I hope this answered any questions you might have had about this song!!! I hope you have a nice day and ROCK ON!!! PS IN THE FIRST ARTICLE IT IS SUPPOSED TO SAY "JULIE NIXON WAS HANGING AROUND WITH DAVID EISENHOWER" I am very sorry for all of the typos! I hope you have a nice day and ROCK ON!!!
Old 31.01.2006, 11:25

catch m3 is infamous around these parts

parts of it talk about draft dodging
Old 24.09.2007, 07:34

Jim Colyer is on a distinguished road

I misheard lyrics in Fortunate Son for a long time.

I thought he said, "Some folks can hear Star Spangled Banner."
He really said, "Some folks inherit star spangled eyes."
Old 24.09.2007, 07:35

Jim Colyer is on a distinguished road

Fortunate Son
http://youtube.com/watch?v=X90T5sY5c...elated&search=

This is a very intense song.

Tags
fortunate, interpretation, lyrics, son