Creedence Online Forum

Go Back   Creedence Online Forum > Albums, Songs and Concerts

Notices

Albums, Songs and Concerts Here we discuss our impression of CCR albums, songs and concerts, as well as the songs meaning

Old 25.03.2010, 16:35
Super Moderator

nerdistmonk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyeur View Post
Man! There are so many great songs from Creedence that are lesser known. I absolutely love Ramble Tamble, Keep on Chooglin', Bootleg, Cross Tie Walker, etc.

But lately, I can't get enough of Feelin' Blue! Such a great combo of Rock and soul.

Feelin Blue on 33 vinyl to be exact, Its crossfaded into shuffle

They took the crossfade off in the new CD.

I like the old edit better
Old 25.03.2010, 18:46

Voyeur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdistmonk View Post
Feelin Blue on 33 vinyl to be exact, Its crossfaded into shuffle

They took the crossfade off in the new CD.

I like the old edit better
On the remastered one, they still have the fade from Poor Boy Shuffle into Feelin' Blue. Coolest fade ever!

At first it makes me wonder why some of these songs weren't just as huge a hit as Proud Mary or Bad Moon Rising...but I guess they churned out so many hits in such a short period of time, there was simply no time for their other songs to achieve the same success.
Old 15.04.2010, 20:13

My mom is also a huge Creedence fan, but she'd never seen footage of them performing. The only albums she had were both Chronicles albums. She wasn't even sure which person was Tom Fogerty. So I gave her a DVD featuring concert footage of them in Oakland and Royal Albert Hall. It's nowhere near as good a footage as Nerdistmonk has posted, but it'll do, for now. lol

She loved it. And I think it's the first time she ever heard "Keep On Chooglin", which, for some godforsaken reason wasn't included in Chronicles 2 (you'd think they'd have found room the the song known for closing their concerts).

So when I visit her up in NC late this summer, I'm gonna bring the albums I bought and play all the lesser known songs that I think rock. Stuff like Ramble Tamble, Feelin' Blue, Bootleg, Cross Tie Walker, Penthouse Pauper, etc. I think she'll get a kick out of it!
Old 04.08.2010, 16:05

CreedenceGal is on a distinguished road

This post is quite ominous to reply to. Creedence had so many great songs, most of which were acknowledged on the Chronicle albums, however, there are a few that are just as wonderful that didn't make it on the two volume package.

I feel that after listening to the pre-1970s Creedence albums, one of the ones I treasure comes off Willy and the Poor Boys. The last song on the album, "Effigy," is a haunting mixture of life and death in my opinion. The subject matter is verging on gruesome, however, the music is undenyably alive! Tracks such as "Sinister Purpose," "Cross-Tie Walker," and "Ramble Tamble" are wonderful as well.

I was rather surprised that fairly popular songs such as "Bootleg" and "Keep on Chooglin'" aren't featured on the greatest hits Chronicle albums! They even made a music video of "Bootleg" and closed nearly every one of their shows with "Keep on Chooglin'."

As for the period where Creedence began falling apart, I really love tunes such as "(Wish I Could) Hideaway" and "It's Just a Thought."

As for non-Fogerty songs, I can't help but think that "What Are You Gonna Do" is so catchy. Part of me really loves it and the other part of me doesn't want to love it because it's not Fogerty's voice. I'm leaning further in the direction of loving it.

There's also one track I love from the Golliwogs stage of Creedence. The second version of "You Can't Be True" where John sings is a good example of John's voice developed still further once he became the voice of Creedence.

All in all, everything they do is wonderful. I do wish they were still together, making music for this generation to appreciate and enjoy. Oh well, you know what they say - all good things must come to an end.
Old 04.08.2010, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreedenceGal View Post
I was rather surprised that fairly popular songs such as "Bootleg" and "Keep on Chooglin'" aren't featured on the greatest hits Chronicle albums! They even made a music video of "Bootleg" and closed nearly every one of their shows with "Keep on Chooglin'."
I know, right? Perhaps I can see why those songs aren't on Chronicles 1 as those are for the biggest hits. Really, as much as I'd love to have seen Born on the Bayou, Midnight Special and Keep On Chooglin' on Chronicles 1, that album is pretty much flawless overall.

I do have a slight problem with Chronicles 2 though because they did leave off so many good lesser known songs like Bootleg, Feelin' Blue, Ramble Tamble, Effigy, Cross Tie Walker and (especially) their concert closer Keep on Chooglin'. Yet the album includes Good Golly Miss Molly, My Baby Left Me, Lookin' for a Reason and Hello Mary Lou. Don't get me wrong, those are fine songs (almost all Creedence songs are at least good), but it seems to me those songs aren't as unmistakably-Creedence as the songs they left off...meaning they don't quite have the same swampy vibe.

I realize now, the best way to listen to Creedence is through the albums. Not only so I can listen to all the songs, but in the original order. Instead of listening to the well known classics first, then the lesser known after. I find it best when they are all mixed together.

Having said that, you can't go wrong bringing Chronicles on a long car trip!
Old 05.08.2010, 07:42

I couldn't agree with you more. I feel that some of the songs on the second installment are a bit weeker than "Ramble Tamble" or "Effigy" or especially "Keep on Chooglin'." I feel as though it would have been a wiser choice to select songs that more wholly and undenyably embody the swamp rock sound of Creedence.

It's so awesome to be able to express how I feel about them with people who are also just as into them as I am. haha thanks for the response.
Old 05.08.2010, 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreedenceGal View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. I feel that some of the songs on the second installment are a bit weeker than "Ramble Tamble" or "Effigy" or especially "Keep on Chooglin'." I feel as though it would have been a wiser choice to select songs that more wholly and undenyably embody the swamp rock sound of Creedence.

It's so awesome to be able to express how I feel about them with people who are also just as into them as I am. haha thanks for the response.

Yeah, I love Keep on Chooglin'! It almost puts me in an awesome 7 minute trance when I play it!
Old 05.08.2010, 10:07

It's one of my favorites to blast in the car, that's for sure! I also love "Sweet Hitch-Hiker" and "It Came out of the Sky" to ring through the streets of LA. HAHAHA
Old 07.09.2010, 07:18

ToolCCR is on a distinguished road

Almost all of the CCR songs that they don't play on the radio are my favorites.

Graveyard Train
The Working Man
Penthouse Pauper
Sinister Purpose
Keep on Chooglin
Get Down Woman

I took these and more and made them into a "Chronicle 3." Possibly my favorite "Chronicle."
Old 20.10.2010, 14:17

mituan is on a distinguished road

By that I mean, what's your favorite CCR song they never play on the radio, ones that only the die-hard fans know?

I got a lot of 'em, Porterville might be my fav, though. (even though it was a hit when it was first released.)

Ramble Tamble, also, is just unbelieveably good. Feelin' Blue is another one of my favs.
[b][url=http://www.pandoras.uk.com/]Pandora UK[/url][/b]

Tags
creedence, favorite, notsowellknown, song