Creedence Online Forum

Go Back   Creedence Online Forum > Albums, Songs and Concerts

Notices

Albums, Songs and Concerts Here we discuss our impression of CCR albums, songs and concerts, as well as the songs meaning

Old 19.07.2005, 03:00

Music Girl is infamous around these parts

I have not read the book but I have been wanting to really bad! Though, on www.amazon.com you could search for Creedence in the book catagory and they have that book and you can search though it. They have a little thing where you type in a word, for example the word 'band' and it will give you a sentence or two off the pages that have the word band and of corse the word band will be in that sentence. It seems like a very interseting book but I am hinting that it is a little bias towards John. Though, the author had 4th hand information that Bob Fogerty(Johns little brother) read the book and said it was fair. But he wasnt sure if that was true or not. I am guessing that it is a good book for the fans that want to know more about Creedence and all the lawsuits. I have also heard that there are some pretty rare pictures in that book too. Well, I got the interviews for you. There are two, one is pretty short but the last one is pretty long. I hope you enjoy them!!
What inspired "Fortunate Son"?
John Fogerty:"Julie Nixon was hanging around David Eisenhower. And you just had the feeling that none of these people were going to be involved with the war. But to some of us who were watching closely, we just knew we're heading for trouble." (in Rolling Stone)

John:"A very, very personal song, a confrontation between me and Richard Nixon. The song after all, was written in 1970. "Fortunate Son" was one of the fastest songs I've ever written. I had it in my books of titles, "Fortunate Son," Hmmm, now what could that mean? "Fortunate Son," the "haves", the people who have it all not a positive image the people who live up on the hill, with their big cars. People I dont respect. During the Vietnam War, these were the people who didn't have to go to war. I was thinkg about David Eisenhower, the grandson of Dwight, who married Julie Nixon. I always confused her with Tricia. I guess it's easy to pick on somebody named Tricia. It sounds so silver - spoon. Anyway, I was showing the band the song. I didn't have much. I knew the chord changes and could feel the energy. I had the title, "Fortunate Son," but no song. Yet I was showing the band the structure, my normal gig as the musical director of the band, the arranger, if you will. It was a Monday or Tuesday night and I was well - disciplined enough about staying ahead, always ready with my parts. So I went into the bedroom, sat at the edge of my bed with a yellow legal tablet and my felt - tipped pen. Out came the song. "It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no Fortunate Son." I was screaming inside, very intense but not saying a word. Out it came onto three sheets of yellow legal papaer. "Some folks are born/Made to wave the flag/Oooh they're red, white and blue." I always used that phrase, "Look at him, he's red, white and blue." It wasn't a nice image like you'd picture Carl Sandburg, Walt Whitman or Abe Lincoln. I was thinking more about if you were to use modern examples of peopleguys like Bob Doran or Newt Gingrich, people who wave the flag with pomosity and pretension, as if they're hiding behind it. I wasn't one of thier children! I wasn't Dvid Eisenhower! When I played the song at Shea Stadium at an anti - war protest, I dedticated the song to David Eisenhower and Tricia Nixon, that's how messed up my venom was. As I was walking in the hallway after our set, someone came up to me and told me what an awesome version we had played. I remember telling him, "Richard Nixon is a great insperation." I hope you liked those interviews. If you want anymore interviews about a song just ask and I will be happy to post them!! Well, I hope you have a nice day and ROCK ON!!!
Old 19.07.2005, 15:22
Anonymous

Thanks a lot, the second interview was really interesting. Do you have any interviews about Up around the bend or green river?

Thanks a million and have a good one.

Dom
Old 20.07.2005, 06:14

Well, I checked all of my facts and my information and I don't have an interview of John describing Up Around The Bend. However, I do have the Green River interviews. One with John and one with Tom. I looked at every song interview that I have and I will list them some of them after I post the interviews. The fist one is with Tom and the second one is with John. I hope you enjoy them both!!!
Where is "Green River?"
Tom Fogerty:"There was this place in Northern California where we'd go every summer called Putah Creek. There was this really great creek where we'd go swiming and all. Everything mentioned in that song is real and actually happened. There really was a place called Cody's Camp. John changed the name to "Green River" because it was much more musical." (in a radio interviews 1975)

John:" Until the songs on Blue Moon Swamp, I've always considerd "Green River" a high - water mark in my musical life, only because it felt so good. Here was the music closest to my musical center. Even thoguh we had bigger albums, that album was my favorite. Green River was were I lived; from the sound of the record, what the record is about, the riffs, the setting which spills out onto the rest of the album, to the cover. It's my most comfortable place. "Green River" another title I had held from the time I was eight - years old. In my neighborhood, if you went to the soda fountain the pharmacy you could order diffrent fizz drinks like for instance, cherry cola. One of the drinks was a green river, not unlike Sun Records, with a green river diappearing into a vanishing point. There were banks on either side with a sun that shone over the river, a sort of cartoon rendering. The drink was a green, lime drink on ice with fizz water, a soggy green snow cone. That's what I would order and it made me the happiest. I'd been saving "Green River" all my life, a good example of the imagery of Creedence comes out of John fogerty's head. Creedence exist because it exsited in John Fogerty's mind. "Green River" is about my childhood, my story, as are the other songs in the Creedence catalog. "Green River" was about a place in Northern California, near Winters. There's a creek called Putah Creek. In spanish "putah" roughly means "bad women" or "prostitute." They made Lake Berryessa by damming up the creek. Below the dam was a place we called Cody's Camp, right on the Putah Creek. When my parents took me there during to early 50's, I was only four or fiver years old. We rented the same cabin, a kitchen and one bedroom, a tiny little stucture right on the edge of the creek. There was an old guy who claimed to be a direct descendent of Buffalo Bill Cody. That's were Cody comes from, allegedly, he was related. The day after we recorded "Green River" at Wally Hieder Studios, another young engineer in the building heard the song. He was so moved he called me at home. "Pick up a flat rock and skip it across the Green River." He was a total stranger, but totally into the words, the first person to acknowledge that something special, lyrically, was happining in my music." Now, I will give you a list of some the song interviews that I have and you can choose any one of them and I will be happy to post them for you!! Born On The Bayou, Beverly Angel, Centerfield, Down On The Corner, Fortunate Son, Green River, Have You Ever Seen The Rain?, I saw It On Tv, Lodi, Looking Out My Backdoor, Porterville, Wrote A Song For Everyone, No Silly Love Songs (not a song, just John describing his veiw on love songs), Southern Steamline, Hot Rod Heart, Blueboy, A Hundred And Ten In The Shade, Rattlesnake Highway, Bring It Down To Jelly Roll, Walking In A Hurricane, Swamp River Days, Joy Of My Life, Rambuntions Boy, Blue Moon Nights, Bad Bad Boy, Proud Mary and Bad Moon Risin. I have more but there are just to many to list. Like I said before, If you ask for a song and I have it I will post it without a problem, this is my pleasure. I really hoped you enjoyed the interviews!! I hope you have a nice day and ROCK ON!!!
Old 20.07.2005, 13:10
Anonymous

Thanks, the interview was great, I'd never have guessed that green river had so much meaning behind it - let alone be based on Johns childhood!
Could you please post the interviews for bad moon risin & have you ever seen the rain?
Great forum, very friendly indeed

Have a good one

Dom
Old 21.07.2005, 19:56

I am sorry that I am late on posting but my computer was giving me trouble. You deserve to get the interviews ASAP and, I am sorry that I couldn't get them to you yesterday. Well, I will stat with Bad Moon Risin and end with Have You Ever Seen The Rain. I think you will find them very interesting. If you want more just ask and I will be happy to post them! I really do hope you enjoy these interviews! Well, here they are.

John Fogerty:"This song is definetly not about astrology. The imagery came from a 1941 movie, The Devil and Daniel Webster, about a senator who makes a deal with the Devil (played by Walter Huston.) The idea of this film was that the Devil was protecting Daniel Webster because of the deal they had made. There's one great scene where there's a huge strom, and the neighbor's corn crop was completly knocked down. But next door, the Devil and Daniel Webster are standing side - by - side, looking out the barn door. You can see Daniel Webster's corn still standing tall in a straight row, six feet high. his contrast represented a very strong image to me. I took it in a Biblical sense, meaning hurricanes and lightening. "Don't go round tonight/ It's bound to take your life/ There's a bad moon on the rise." Scary, spooky stuff."

John Fogerty:"This happends in the bay area more often than in other places: the sun is shining, yet you have rain falling down, rainbows and raindrops falling, as the wind blows the rain into th Bay though the Golden Gate. "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?" is about the break - up of Creedence Clearwater Revival. "Have you ever seen the rain commin down, sunny day?" Creedence was supposed to be sunny days, the golden time, yet look at the rain falling down on us. The song was off the Pendulum album, which also referred to the break - up, a pendulum swinging one way toward all the wonderful times, now it was swinging back the other way, which was bad. Things were bad, a stuggle. The trick I had been able to pull off was writing and showing everyone what to play, which held them at bay. Our succsess also held them at bay. Then we had a big meeting, A BAND MEETING, in capitol letters, a week before the recording of Pendulum. This meeting didn't effect Pendulum too much, but the idea was that the band wanted to be a democracy instead of an autocracy, or mabey a dictatorship. I was the tyrant, a dictator. After Pendulum was recorded, about six weeks after the THE BIG BAND MEETING, we planned a big comming - out press party, just two and a half years into our career. I call it Night of the Generals, everybody was a now a general, no soldiers to do the work. We heird Rogers and Cowan to proclaim the tyranny was over, Creedence was now a democracy. I went along with it, there wasn't much else that I could do. Yet that's what they wanted, so I took a big swallowed and thought, "Oookay." The guys all talked to Rolling Stone and the rest of the press about how the were going to be singing and writing, making up their own parts instead of following John. As a surprise to me, I even had to get up and say something nice about Saul Zaentz. I swallowed real hard and told the story about how Saul had loaned the band $1200 so we could buy a new Kustom Amp. Soon enough It all fell apart in front of my eyes. After the tyranny, fourteen months later, Mardi Gras came out. But ever since that album came out, the guys have spent the next 27 years proclaiming "It wasn't our idea. John made us do that." Baloney! All you have to do is go back and read the articles. The guys had seized the reins of power. Critics at the time called Mardi Gras "Fogerty's revenge." My only question is revenge for what? God forbid, we had a world class outfit with a name that was revered and honored. Yet here we were, thrashing it ourselves. I don't think the band relized "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?" was about our break - up. But at the time we were recording it, there was a writer named John Hollywell who was writing a book called Inside Creedence, which came out after the group had broken - up. It was a paperback, the only book ever writen about Creedence. He was a sensitive guy. He knew. As we were playing in the studio, he came up to me with tears in his eyes. He'd figured it out." Well ,I hoped you enjoyed them! I thought they were pretty interesting. What about you? I hope you have a nice day and ROCK ON!!!
Old 07.09.2005, 04:24
Anonymous

why is no one mentioning the 50s. sure the 60s and 70s were great but there wouldn't have been a music revolution without people like Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis first breaking all the standards.
Old 27.09.2005, 20:15
Anonymous

I'm from Norway and I'm only 14, and I love CCR!!!!
Old 12.10.2005, 16:39
Anonymous

Its all about Heyworth Illinois and how nice it was to be back from that party and place.
Old 13.10.2005, 03:01
Wise

So far I concern John was not happy with the drug culture,in last 60 &70.

Tags
door, lookin'