Creedence Online Forum

Go Back   Creedence Online Forum > Albums, Songs and Concerts

Notices

Albums, Songs and Concerts Here we discuss our impression of CCR albums, songs and concerts, as well as the songs meaning

Old 30.12.2004, 20:49
Anonymous

why are there only french people here??
Old 30.12.2004, 21:38
le-fran?ais

hi ! who are you ?
Old 31.12.2004, 07:26
Travis P

Dear Lionel,

The song Looking out my backdoor does not talk about drugs.The lead singer of Creedence John Fogerty,wrote the lyrics for his son.The Lyrics were telling about make believe things and what
would be nice or funny to see looking out you're back door.
Old 03.01.2005, 23:31
Anonymous

Sorry, Lionel. These optimistic people are wrong. It is about drugs. "Won't you take a ride on the flying spoon" gives it away. You heat powdered drugs and water in a spoon to liquify the drug, usually heroin, to make it injectable. If you live out in the country and want to get high, you would probably make a trip to a big city to buy it, such as Chicago or East Saint Louis ("Just got back from Illinois"), and would lock the front door so as not to be disturbed while you sat on the back porch. And yes, there will be happy creatures, so long as you stay happy, too.

It is a very interesting and believable tableau from the life of a rural doper. It's one of my favorite songs, and children will enjoy it very much, so long as they don't know what's going on.
Old 04.01.2005, 21:29
Layanol

Hi everybody,

(I will write in english, because it's a better way to be understood all around the world.)

I think the meaning of this song is not clear. The two way I saw here on the forum are possible. Sincerely I think the last explanation is relevant.

But I think too that a song can have two meanings. A way to tell his son : hey boy, be aware and look what drugs can do.

Lionel
Old 04.01.2005, 21:39
Layanol

I forgot to say Hello to Elisa and Annelies. (Annelies I am happy to see I am not alone in this case)

Et bien s?r Bonjour ? tous les Fran?ais et Francophones.
Old 08.01.2005, 05:07
Anonymous

Hey, Layonal/Lionel,
Why is this site so popular with French people?
(I wrote the previous post, about drugs and flying spoons.)
Regards,
Delbert
Old 13.05.2005, 05:54

Green_Kirby is infamous around these parts
Send a message via ICQ to Green_Kirby

Not about drugs. John says he wrote it for one of his young children and was writing from the viewpoint and imagination of a young child. He has never taken drugs other than to experiment with pot, and he didn't like it.
Eh, I'd probably say you're right. Some of the other members could have, though.
Old 14.05.2005, 11:54

Music Girl is infamous around these parts

John did write this as a view point of a young child. In fact there is a thread on here that has something about John talking about this song. He said he knew that is son Josh would love the 'Do Do Doo' part of the song. Then John also said that when he was in the kitchen and his son was on the floor scribbling on some paper then 'Lookin Out My Back Door' came on the radio then his son started sing 'Do Do Doo lookin out my back door' and John said that is what it is all about. He knew his son would like and of corse he did. It is also not like John to write a drug song. I dont think he is like that. Though, I can imagine him experimenting on pot since he smoked cigeretts back then so I can believe that. I also remember reading somewhere about John and this song. I think I remember reading that it reminded him of a parade and this chacter in some kind of book I think named Gossemur Wump(I know thats not how you spell it sorry!) In fact when they had a meeting with Fantasy on choosing thier band name one of the ideas was Gossemur Wump. But we all know what came to be! In the metting there was also some other intresting names that I cant remember. However I am pretty sure all of this info is in one of those Creedence bio books. I cant exactly remeber if it was Bad Monn Risin or Up Aroung The Bend. By the way, does anyone know what year when John got his divorce? Was it during the Creedence years? I am pretty sure it was but I need to check myself. I hope you have a nice day and ROCK ON!!!
Old 15.05.2005, 10:12

Green_Kirby is infamous around these parts
Send a message via ICQ to Green_Kirby

And I think the "Spoon" part everyone is worked up about is actually when you're feeding a baby. You know, the trains and stuff? Makes sense and it goes with what has been said.

Tags
door, lookin'