Creedence Online Forum

Creedence Online Forum (http://www.creedence-online.net/forum/index.php)
-   Albums, Songs and Concerts (http://www.creedence-online.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Fortunate Son (http://www.creedence-online.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11)

19.03.2002 19:44

[b]Review by J. Fogerty[/b]
A very, very personal song, a confrontation between me and Richard Nixon. The song, after all, was written in 1970. "Fortunate Son" was one of the fastest songs I'd ever written. I had it in my book of titles, "Fortunate Son." Hmmm, now what could that mean? "Fortunate Son," the "haves", the people who have it all not a positive image the people who live up on the hill, with their big cars. People I don't respect. During the Vietnam war, these were the people who didn't have to go to war. I was thinking about David Eisenhower, the grandson of Dwight, who married Julie Nixon. I always confused her with Tricia. I guess it's easy to pick on somebody named Tricia. It sounds so silver-spoon. Anyway, I was showing the band the song. I didn't have much. I knew the chord changes and could feel the energy. I had a title, "Fortunate Son," but no song. Yet I was showing the band the structure, my normal gig as the musical director of the band, the arranger, if you will. It was a Monday or Tuesday night and I was well-disciplined enough about staying ahead, always ready with my parts. So I went into the bedroom, sat at the edge of my bed with a yellow legal tablet and my felt-tipped pen. Out came the song. "It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate son." I was screaming inside, very intense, but not saying a word. Out it came, onto three sheets of yellow legal paper. "Some folks are born/made to wave the flag/oooh they're red, white, and blue." I always used that phrase, "look at him, he's red, white, and blue." It wasn't a nice image, like you'd picture Carl Sandburg, Walt Whitman or Abe Lincoln. I was thinking more about if you were to use modern examples of peopleguys like Bob Doran or Newt Gingrich, people who wave the flag with pomposity and pretension, as if they're hiding behind it. I wasn't one of their children! I wasn't David Eisenhower! When I played the song at Shea Stadium at an anti-war protest, I dedicated the song to David Eisenhower and Tricia Nixon, that's how messed up my venom was. As I was walking in the hallway after our set, someone came up to me and told me what an awesome version we had played. I remember telling them, "Richard Nixon is a great inspiration."

Anonymous 06.11.2003 22:42

This song ROCKS!! I ain't no military son ! :) CCR LIVES!

Anonymous 17.01.2004 00:39

This song is pure ROCK!!! I always put it as an example of the Best Result from simplicity Guitar, Bass and Drums can get together...It?s what it is!!!! Straight to your stomach!!!!

Anonymous 10.02.2004 23:41

The lyrics are very meaningful today, as they were in 1970. Wierd that ClearChannel plays it, I'd love to hear more lyrics like that. (I listen to MP3s mostly, and online radio like KVMR, CKMO, KPFA... the public airwaves are a wasteland as far as antiestablishment/anticorporate ideas go... except of course for those great pirate radio stations :-)

-Lori

Anonymous 02.06.2004 04:58

i liked this song....it has alot of truth in it...nice work!

Anonymous 02.06.2004 05:30

i love ur song sooooooo much, it is so awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wooooo ooeeeee!!!!!!! am i high or wat???!!!hehehehehehehehehehehehe!!!!!!!!!jk

Anonymous 05.06.2004 11:53

Yes, this song not only goes to the roots of American rock, means a lot to me personally, but also is an anthem against aristocracy and war. Its message still lives on and should be heard today just as it needed to be heard in the days of Vietnam and Nixon's presidency.

Anonymous 21.07.2004 02:28

this song is one of those songs that make your shoes just wanna shuffle around! It is great! that bass and guitar intro just make u wann dance! YEAH CCR RULE!!!!! ROCK 'N' ROLL DOGGIE!!!! CCR Live on in my soul $ ever!

Stu_Cook 06.08.2004 07:28

what year was the song called" Today I Started Loving You" made and who's idea was it that came up with that song? it is so beautiful the words to the song has a special meaning to it...

Fish 15.10.2004 10:25

[i]what year was the song called" Today I Started Loving You" made and who's idea was it that came up with that song? it is so beautiful the words to the song has a special meaning to it...[/i]

Merle Haggard did that song I think in the late 60? Then John Fogerty did an outstanding version of it on the 1973 BRR album. I like Johns version of the song the best.