Creedence Online Forum

Creedence Online Forum (http://www.creedence-online.net/forum/index.php)
-   Albums, Songs and Concerts (http://www.creedence-online.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What does chooglin mean? (http://www.creedence-online.net/forum/showthread.php?t=337)

Anonymous 10.12.2005 04:31

Hi, folks. I`ve been wondering about what the word chooglin means for a while now. Anyone know the meaning?

Anonymous 10.12.2005 05:01

JLB

I think that Chooglin is a word that Fogerty created to describe Creedence's unique style.
Mabe the lyrics might have an answer. Either way, that's one awsome song

Keep on Chooglin!

becca_d 12.12.2005 17:03

The answer is in the song! "You got to ball and have a good time, and that's what I call chooglin'." I think it's a word for playing music and just have fun. And yah, this song is awesome! I love it. I love the whole "Bayou Country" album, it's my favorite Creeedence-album!

Anonymous 14.12.2005 09:17

Of course, the term "ball", back in the 70's, didn't refer to playing music (well, maybe MAKING music) :-)

Zodiac DDM 16.12.2005 21:13

Hi, everyone !!
Yes, "chooglin" has definitely got to do with "letting yourself go"
through the enjoying of music...
Agree with becca_d: "Bayou Country" is my nr. 1 too...
Bye

Mary Lou 03.02.2006 19:42

I was bothering my US friends with this question till I understood it might have been useful to listen to the song till the end!;-))))
You're great, Becca!

becca_d 04.02.2006 04:31

Am I? Oh, thanks!

Rockadillo6942 20.04.2013 02:01

Chooglin'

From the Urban Dictionary: A rhythm guitar style that employs a [U][B]deliberately hard up and down stroke[/B][/U] against the strings to simulate the motions of pistons or trains. A style made popular in the late 1960s and early 1970s by Creedence Clearwater Revival. Groovy!

Punchinello 30.05.2013 03:35

John Fogerty just answered your chooglin question!

I was just following the live AMA (Ask Me Anything) with John Fogerty on Reddit. Someone asked this question and he answered it. Here is the answer, straight from the man himself...

---

waslikeyouropinion
Hello, I'm a big fan. Thanks for doing this! What exactly does "chooglin" mean?

johnfogerty - John Fogerty
It was just a fun expression that I made up. It wasn't a real word but I wanted to have a word that sounded kind of like "rockin," "shufflin," "boogie," kind of rock n roll.

---

The Old Goat 23.06.2014 07:59

Good old music

I am really glad to see you younger people listening to the music of my time as the new stuff really has no heart.
Take it from an old hippie baby boomer from vietnam i had all of creedance albums ever made and many other groups and choogling is what we did when we smoked pot. :D
Most of the people would line up and make like a train listening to the music.
Choo choo choogling. Then pass out..........:super:

Can you dig it? I am hep man.... Jimmy Hendericks was my favorite i guess.

Oh BTW... Dont do drugs people it will mess you up in time.