Creedence Online Forum

Go Back   Creedence Online Forum > Albums, Songs and Concerts

Notices

Albums, Songs and Concerts Here we discuss our impression of CCR albums, songs and concerts, as well as the songs meaning

Old 21.04.2009, 11:23

Brian Tristan is on a distinguished road
Question Creedence Clearwater Revival: Box vs. 40th Anniversary Edition Reissues

I have been trying to determine, prior to purchase, the difference between the two releases, Creedence Clearwater Revival Box (2001) vs. Creedence Clearwater Revival 40th Anniversary Edition Reissues (2008). My main question involves the remastering, and the sound quality between the two releases.

What I would like to know is:
Is the remastering of the music the same?
And furthermore...
Is the sound quality the same?

I went as far as e-mailing Fantasy Records customer service, and the answer I received to my question was a response that had web links to all the 40th Anniversary Edition Reissues on the companies website. Not an answer to my question. So, I will try here.

From mining the internet for information I have found some information, but nothing definitive. Wikipedia, and other information sites, do not address the issue of all the various versions of release of the Creedence Clearwater Revival catalog, nor do any of them specifically address remastering.

This type of information can be found ad nauseam on The Beatles for sure, and to some extent on the Rolling Stones, and The Who. All of which have confusing 1960s release catalogs, that involve various aspects like US/UK versions, and Mono/Stereo versions, nevermind the various versions of release. Even from information that is out there for The Doors, one can determine that they have ten or more compilation releases, and that the newest box set contains mixes not faithful to the original releases, but "better", "more interesting", "Ray versions including never heard before parts". A very good thing to know before you slap down the kind of money a box set costs, and get something other than you were expecting.

Yet, I have found nothing like this regarding the, in comparison, simple matter of versions of release of Creedence Clearwater Revival catalog. Keep in mind, I am not interested in the various compilations of material that have been released, of which I am sure there are close to as many as The Doors. If The Doors had been on the Fantasy Records label, Ray and Fantasy Records would have released a new compilation yearly.

Anyhow, commercial outlets selling the packages also listed various bits of information, but again, nothing on the same outlet gave information that would let me compare the two offerings with any degree of certainty.

I did obtain, from different retail web outlets, information that suggest that the Box and the 40th Anniversary Edition Reissues are of the same remastering, and included the same liner notes. Both are listed as containing (from different, not the same, retail outlets), "digitally remastered using 20-bit K2 Super Coding technology by Shigeo Miyamoto (JVC Studios) and Joe Tarantino (Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California)", and "including essays by Ben-Fong Torres and Alec Palao, plus individual album liner notes by Ben-Fong Torres, Joel Selvin, Dave Marsh, Ed Ward, Robert Christgau, Craig Werner and Stanley Booth. In the end, I am not certain this is indeed accurate information, as it appeared to have been cut and pasted from one site to another.

In the end, both releases appear to me, to be the same stuff, just with different packaging. The exception is of course, the Box contains everything that was released properly by Fantasy Records, including "Mardi Gras", "Live in Europe", and "The Concert", which are not part of the 40th Anniversary Edition Reissues (at least not that I can find).

So, is the remastering on the 2001 edition the same job done on the 2008 releases, and is the sound quality the same? Those are my main questions.

Mind you, any input regarding the difference between the two releases would be appreciated, as I am sure in the future someone will look at this site to find out exactly what the difference is between the two.
Old 07.05.2009, 07:28

Travelin' Man is on a distinguished road

I haven't heard the 2001 issue but I can say that the digital remasters are a "clean" pure sound recording without any hiss from the original tapes. Its like being there as they recorded it. I am glad they have remastered them. The Concert 40th Anniversary edition is so clean, its like you were there listening to them. My only complaint is they didn't pull the backing vocals up to where you could hear them better. Very dissapointing.
Old 12.06.2009, 23:22

Arisin Wind is on a distinguished road

The 40th year CDs sound a lot better
Old 21.06.2009, 04:00

Poor Boy is on a distinguished road

I have the first 6 40th anniversary edition CD's. I haven't heard those from the box set so I can't offer a comparison. However, the 40th series are well done and recommended.
Old 12.09.2009, 06:27
Super Moderator

nerdistmonk is on a distinguished road

Trust me the LPs are much better, I got Willy and the poor boys and bayou country for about $8 bucks and they are way better than the cd's also they play a little faster, I just need a better amp.

Last edited by nerdistmonk; 02.12.2009 at 02:47.
Old 17.12.2009, 17:35

Arisin Wind is on a distinguished road

If you want the absolute best CCR sound get the MFSL LP of Cosmos Factory.
Old 17.12.2009, 20:14

Voyeur is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...this is very informative. I was thinking about getting that box set, but maybe I'll just go for the remastered albums instead.
Old 18.12.2009, 03:12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyeur View Post
Hmmm...this is very informative. I was thinking about getting that box set, but maybe I'll just go for the remastered albums instead.
I have been listening to the LP's and they blow the CD's away, the mixes are entirely different, I can hear different instruments better on the LP than on the CD and it doesnt have that awful cymbal crashing and over-expanded stereo. Not to mention the lp's play at the correct speed, all the CD's are too slow. Oh and only get the Blue-Label fantasy lp's, they were the originals that John and the engineers originally intended. (all the modern CDs/lps are mixed by outside parties). Each time Fantasy re-releases the CD's, the re-re-remaster it again, it gets farther and farther away from what it sounded like in 1969/1972. Remastering used to only be used when the item in question was on poor grade tape and needed a remix, nowadays they do it just as a marketing term, and the sound quality becomes over-processed. I love my LP's for $25.00 I got all of the CCR LP's (including albert hall concert)
Old 08.01.2010, 10:29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdistmonk View Post
I have been listening to the LP's and they blow the CD's away, the mixes are entirely different, I can hear different instruments better on the LP than on the CD and it doesnt have that awful cymbal crashing and over-expanded stereo. Not to mention the lp's play at the correct speed, all the CD's are too slow. Oh and only get the Blue-Label fantasy lp's, they were the originals that John and the engineers originally intended. (all the modern CDs/lps are mixed by outside parties). Each time Fantasy re-releases the CD's, the re-re-remaster it again, it gets farther and farther away from what it sounded like in 1969/1972. Remastering used to only be used when the item in question was on poor grade tape and needed a remix, nowadays they do it just as a marketing term, and the sound quality becomes over-processed. I love my LP's for $25.00 I got all of the CCR LP's (including albert hall concert)

But I do have to say something, the 6 cd boxset is GOOD, the set of 40th annis not so much, the 6 cd set has mastertapes written all over it. I cant wait to pit the vinyls against them....muahahah battle of the fogertys! hehe

Tags
40th, 40th anniversary edition reissues, anniversary, box, creedence clearwater revival, edition, reissues